Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce
This glorious mountain city has an impressive chamber of commerce.
Nelson, B.C., a city of 10,664 people in the southeastern part of the province, is known for its thriving arts community, its engaging coffeeshop culture and its beautiful mountain setting on the shore of Kootenay Lake. Nelson was recently included on the list of Canada’s best small towns in the book, The Great Canadian Bucket List: One of a Kind Travel Experiences, by Robin Esrock. The economy is supported by forestry, mining and tourism. Several nearby ski resorts, hiking and biking trails, and activities offered by beautiful Kootenay Lake, all contribute to an active, healthy lifestyle and offer recreation for every age and preference.
The Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce supports growth and diversity in business, recognizes and values Nelson’s heritage and environment, promotes culture and education and recognizes the significance of the local resource sector.
Community chamber stats:
Number of members: 530
Established: 1893 as the Nelson Board of Trade
Executive director: Tom Thomson
Current president: Tanya Finley, Finley's Bar & Grill and Sage Tapas & Wine Bar
Cost of annual membership: $185; $100 for non-profits & private individuals
Address: 91 Baker Street, Nelson, B.C. V1L 4G8
Contact info: 250-352-3433 or [email protected]
Key annual events sponsored by Chamber: Business Excellence Awards, held annually in the spring; .
The 2019 Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards
Each year in spring, the Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce hosts its Business Excellence Award ceremony. The award recipients for 2019 are:
- Business of the Year 2019 — Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort
- Tourism Excellence — Whitewater Ski Resort
- Manufacturing/Technology/Innovation Excellence — Voytech Computers
- Non Profit/Community Service Excellence — The Civic Theatre
- Retail Excellence — Cartolina
- Hospitality/Food & Beverage Excellence — Marzano
- Professional Service Excellence — Edge Roofing Ltd.
- Rising Star/Start Up/New Business/Entrepreneur Excellence — Backroads Brewing Company
- Inclusive Employer — Wait’s News