Fifty per cent of B.C.’s biggest mines are in the Elk Valley
Business in Vancouver recently published a list of the biggest mines in B.C. Of the top 10, five of them are in the Elk Valley. Total mine revenue for the five Elk Valley mines is estimated by the newspaper to be $2.64 billion.
1. Fording River, Elkford—Teck Coal revenue: $934 million
2. Highland Valley Copper, Logan Lake—Teck Coal revenue: $838 million
3. Elkview, Sparwood—Teck Coal revenue: $653 million
4. Greenhills, Elkford—Teck Coal revenue: $467 million
5. Kemess South, Smithers—Northgate revenue: $384 million
6. Coal Mountain, Sparwood—Teck Coal revenue: $314 million
7. Line Creek, Sparwood—Teck Coal revenue: $293 million
8. Wolverine, Tumbler Ridge—Western Coal Corp. revenue: $215 million
9. Gibraltar, Williams Lake—Taseko Mines revenue: $188 million
10. Huckleberry, Houston—Huckleberry Mines revenue: $134 million
Once again proving that mining is big business in the Kootenays!