Career BUZZ: ‘Best of’ Top Jobs in the Kootenays - August 3
Here is a selection of the 10 'Best Of' top jobs Kootenay Business has featured on Career Buzz over the last six weeks. (Disclaimer: Some of these jobs may have been filled, please check with the employers before applying). Want to give your employment opportunities a boost? List them on the Kootenays #1 Career newsletter. We really promote your jobs! For more info contact [email protected]
Accounting Technician—Columbia Basin Trust
The Accounting Technician is responsible for providing a range of accounting and financial services for the Trust and Columbia Power.
The Accounting Technician is responsible for providing a range of accounting and financial services for the Trust and Columbia Power. The Accounting Technician maintains and processes accounts payable transactions and provides support to a fast-paced Finance department by performing other duties as required. This position reports to the Accountant.
1. Accounts Payable within the Trust and Columbia Power and its subsidiaries.
- Codes and processes a high volume of invoices for all company accounts payable including travel and business expense claims and Delivery of Benefits cheque requisitions.
- Reviews accounts payable information entered into the Trust’s Information Management System by staff and ensures information is accurate.
- Verifies all accounts payable transactions are approved by the appropriate authority.
- Ensures timely payment of accounts payable invoices by generating cheques, electronic funds transfers, or bank drafts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
- Responds to vendor and staff payment and invoicing queries.
- Monitors company bank accounts to ensure sufficient balances to cover payments.
- Maintains corporate purchasing card accounts and processes monthly statements.
- Reviews and reconciles vendor statements.
- Reviews transactions to ensure compliance with Finance and Operations Policies.
2. General financial and accounting support.
- Carries out accounting, clerical and administrative work, and provides support to the Finance department and other departments as needed.
- Processes sales and accounts receivable transactions as required.
- Undertakes financial projects as directed by the Accountant.
- Assists with preparing working papers and compiling documents for the year-end audit.
- Assists with preparing bank reconciliations for all companies.
- Prepares monthly journal entries.
3. Other related duties as required.
Training and Experience
- A minimum of a two-year business administration program, accounting technician program OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Two years of experience in finance and administration.
- Experience working with Great Plains and/or Microsoft Customer Relationship Management software and/or Caseware is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the Trust and Columbia Power financial operating policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles, techniques and best practices.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office software (particularly Excel, Outlook, Word, One Note and Powerpoint).
- Well-developed communications skills are essential, both oral and written.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships throughout the organization and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve results.
- Ability to interact with others respectfully, ethically and honestly to create a positive work environment.
- Ability to provide current, knowledgeable and credible information.
- Ability to seize opportunities and be flexible in a changing environment.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and handle a high volume of documentation efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to exercise initiative and bring sound judgment to problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 10, 2018 4:00 p.m. PT. Please visit our Careers page on the Columbia Basin Trust website for a full job description and to apply.
BetterBook Sales Representative—Cranbrook
Koocanusa Publications Incorporated (KPI) Media is looking for an energetic individual who is an excellent communicator and strong team player. This sales representative position involves working directly with a client base of small and large business owners, agents, and marketing managers who are located throughout the East and West Kootenay region—helping them maximize their print and Internet advertising, marketing, and promotion. Apply to: [email protected]
Sawmill Supervisor—Castlegar, BC
Interfor is one of the largest lumber companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success. We are currently recruiting for a Sawmill Supervisor for our sawmill in Castlegar, BC. The Sawmill Supervisor will be responsible for all functions related to the productive, safe flow of logs and lumber throughout the mill. Apply: https://interfor.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=6&id=2856&r=1
BC Parks Operator—East Kootenay
Park Operator Positions involve a variety of activities that may include but are not limited to: general campground maintenance and upkeep, providing information, collecting fees, enforcing park rules and providing customer service. Possible locations can include: Moyie Lake, Kikomun Creek, Wasa Lake, Jimsmith Lake, Whiteswan Lake and more. Apply via email: [email protected]
Database Administrator – Tier II or Tier III—Castlegar
Developing and supporting software applications; Administering the major databases that support Selkirk’s information systems; Generating statistics and writing reports and perform other duties as assigned; Strong abilities in developing and supporting software solutions in mixed OS environments; Exposure to web based application environments and reporting, advanced text manipulation, SQL scripting skills; Demonstrated success as a team member with strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills. To apply: [email protected]
Sun Life Financial Advisor(s)—Kootenays
You have energy, drive, and enthusiasm. As a Sun Life Financial advisor you’ll receive exceptional training and support to help build your business, competitive compensation, and ongoing recognition for your achievements. Apply by sending your resume to: [email protected]
Log House Builder—Golden
Stonehouse Woodworks is hiring for the position of Log House Builder in Golden, BC. The candidate must have experience in the log house building trade or have taken a substantial log building course. This position is full-time until the fall and potentially longer. The wages are based on experience. This position is highly physical; safety and reliability are of utmost importance. Contact: [email protected]
Accomplish restaurant recruitment objectives by selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees. Achieve restaurant operational objectives by identifying trends, determining system improvements and implementing changes. Meets restaurant financial objectives by monitoring revenues and modifying prices. Resume to: [email protected]com
The Lodge Manager (LM) is part of the Retallack Management team who delivers hospitality excellence at Retallack Lodge, creating a unique Retallack Guest experience. The LM works in collaboration with the Mountain Operations Team and Nelson/New Denver Office teams to deliver exceptional experiences for our guests and employees, and continued success for Retallack. Resume to: [email protected]
Client Service Professional—Cranbrook
Koocanusa Publications Incorporated (KPI) Media is looking for an energetic individual who is an excellent communicator and strong team player. This Client Service Professional position involves working directly with a client base of small and large business owners, agents, and marketing managers who are located throughout the East and West Kootenay region—helping them maximize their print and Internet advertising, marketing, and promotion. Apply to: [email protected]